Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chaturshringi Temple , Pune : A Photo Feature



Chaturshringi literally means the four peaks. A temple was errected on a hill slope in Pune (the area presently is adjoining the Senapati Bapat Road) by a rich devotee of Godess Ambareshwari, which is another name for Godess Parvati (mother of Lord Ganesh).
The construction of the temple took place sometime in the 17th century, which makes the temple Shivkaalin viz. from the times of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.


The temple premises also holds a temple of Lord Ganesh, which one has to pass through before making it up the Ambareshwaridevi temple. The temple also holds several minor temples like ones dedicated to Lord Shiva (father of Lord Ganesha), Lord Vishnu, Godess Laxmi, Godess Durga (an incarnation of Godess Parvati), besides the miniature Ashtavinayaka (Eight forms of Lord Ganesh) idols.



PIC: FIRST ARCHWAY

The Chaturshringi temple is said to be around 90 feet high and 125 feet wide. The access to the temple is through an huge arched umbrella. There is a parking space in the temple premises.


PIC: SECOND ACCESS ARCHWAY

We then proceed to another huge arched umbrella doorway from where starts a inclined climb up the hill slope.


 There are in all about hundred stairs one has to climb before reaching the top.


PIC: GANESH TEMPLE

Midway one encounters the Ganesha temple.


 After paying our obeissance to the lord of learning, one climbs further to the temple of Godess Ambareshwari.


PIC: AMBARESHWARI DEVI TEMPLE

The Ambareshwari temple also houses minor temples of Godess Laxmi, Lord Shiva and  Lord Vishnu besides several other deities.


During the Navratri festival, the entire temple is lit up for nine long days and offers a wonderfull sight. there is also a fair held during those days which is enjoyed by young and old alike,To the credit of the Chatushringi temple, the temple premises are quite clean and well maintained.


The Chaturshringi temples is one of the major landmarks of Pune city . A visit to this temple should be an essential part of every Pune tourist's itenary.


Text and Pictures : Abhijit Rajadhyaksha

4 comments:

  1. Chaturshringi temple is among the list of famous temples in Pune, one visiting Pune should not forget to seek the benefits of Devi Ambareshwari, the presiding deity in the temple. places to visit in pune

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the pictures and detailed description
    I was v lucky and blessed by Mata Rani that I got her Darshan yesterday on Chaitra Shukla Paksh Poornima, which is also her day of "prakatya" and was also Hanuman Jayanti,and Chandra grahan. I was on a short visit from Delhi to Pune, it was a coincident, which I now realise how Mata rani took special care of me and called me for her Darshan on such auspicious day.I was totally unaware of this, only when I had Darshan and was climbing down,I met the punditji in Ganeshji temple who told me this.That too I felt was miracle otherwise I may not have spoken to punditji out of the way, it was only Mata's wish to let me know of this detail. I AM SO blessed, and want to thank you Maa. I want to come to your abode soon, please call me again. I want to know more about Mata's history in this temple. JAI MATA KI!! Jai mata ki!!JAI MATA KI!!😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post on Chaturshringi temple with beautiful pictures. It is very informative and I have been to the fair which happens every year on the eve of Navratri.

    ReplyDelete